Friday, September 24, 2010

Theresa's September Results

Layout (1/1)

I absolutely loved the materials in the September kit. When I saw them I knew immediately that I wanted to do a layout of our friends' daughter Calder, playing with legos at a party we had last summer. When I actually went to scrap it all, I went into a sort of scrappers-block. It took me a long time to get past it. Looking at the wonderful posts you ladies put up were very inspirational - and you will find that I've lifted some of your creative ideas to finally get this one finished. All in a day's work indeed!



Card (1/1)

Among the many cool things in the September kit - I was most strongly drawn to the bit of blue/green/orange ribbon provided in the embellie bag. I don't know why, but I love it! I couldn't think of what to do with such a small, precious piece - but finally came up with this.
My friend Shirleyanne just recently bought a pair of (really expensive) jeans called "genetic denim". The embroidered insignia is double helix. If I could fit into a pair of jeans like that, I'd probably buy them myself. :-P
Her birthday was coming up and I just couldn't let the rest of the paper go back into storage without doing at least one card. Voila, the little ribbon that could became my artistic representation of DNA on a birthday card (for a science nerd like me).

Note to self: take pictures BEFORE writing on the card!





3 comments:

  1. Okay, first the layout: Using Lego pictures was genius and so perfectly in line with the theme. I love how you cut out the photo on the left hand side to make a silhouette and that the two matted photos are tilted. It adds movement to the whole composition and draws the eye across the layout. Nice work!
    The card is hilarious and so clever - I think you win the award for most creative use of ribbon. Love the rounded edges. Love the font choice (you goddess of text, you). Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great set of crafty goodies!

    I love how the photos pick up all of the colors in the paper - I can't believe that even some of those legos were a light lime green, and not just primary colors. That's so crazy how that paper works so well. Those photos are adorable - what a cutie!

    I also love your card - I really like how the turquoise is on the outside and the patterned paper is on the inside. I love that. I also love the play on words - "nice genes". So cute! This is such a creative adorable card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized today I was not caught up on commenting on past posts... sorry for my late response. I think Rachel and Marieke highlighted (highlit??) everything that stood out to me in these awesome projects, but just in case: For your layout, you picked a perfect subject to go with the paper. The colors in the photos go perfectly with the colors in the kit. Like Rachel, I love how you cut out the picture on the left. And I love the off-centered circles. As for the card, I love how you wrapped the ribbon! It looks beautiful. The story behind it is so cute, and it gets to the point of why homemade cards are worth the effort. Theresa, your friend must have loved getting it!

    ReplyDelete