Friday, September 24, 2010

Rachel's September Results


So I cheated a lot this month, but in my defense, due to my daughter's burgeoning - ahem - interest in my work, I had to create this layout twice and I was tired. Speaking of tired, let's pretend I glued the photo mats on straight.

I stole Claudia's idea of using the dry embossed cardstock as rounded-edge photo mats and am really pleased with the results. I also loved her idea of using the puzzle pieces in the title, so gave that a shot as well. I decided to cover some puzzle pieces with patterned paper, sand the edges and use them as photo corners for the layout itself.


I know we have already talked about what tools we find it difficult not to use in our discussions of whether we should adjust the rules. For me, hands down, I miss border punches the most. This month I just caved in and used one. I tried to match the color of the puzzle pieces behind the title (which were inked with blue chalk ink) by using watercolor to paint the border strips. I just couldn't resist adding on to the circle theme, so please forgive me.

8 comments:

  1. Love it, Rach! And I got to see this one and the others in person, finally! Yay!

    I love how you colored the white paper blue with water colors. Water colors are fun. I adore how you cover the puzzle pieces withe the patterned paper. And I love love love your title. I like how you colored the puzzle pieces in the title blue to match the border strips on the edges. I also have to add that I really love how you make your photos into circles. It's so cute here.

    Again, I was so happy to see it in person. It's amazing how much richer and deeper the layouts are in person, especially when there are dimensional elements and textural embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the circle pictures! They are really cute, especially how the pictures of Hanna and Kaylie (sp?) mirror each other. I love the puzzle pieces behind "Delight in Play" (I will have to check out chalk ink now!) and the pieces in the corners. Very fun layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess that I haven't finished September yet. I just couldn't wait to look anymore!

    This layout is so creative Rachael! I, too, loved the border photo matting. That will probably be cropping up in some of my future work. Your title, circle matting and accent work is also great (did you color those puzzle pieces with paint?).

    I loved seeing Marieke's book in person - I wish I could see all of yours too.

    I will never forget the story of Hannah's 'commentary' on your work. It's disturbingly priceless. Maybe THAT should be a journal item for Hannah's toddler years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I have a hard time not using other punches too. I'm surprised I haven't 'cheated' every month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just talking to Spencer last night about how excited I am that we will be making some changes to the club come 2011. My vote is for each of us to take 3 months and have one month be classic ORMV (make a kit for the other members) and 2 months where you get to do whatever you want and most importantly use what tools you want. Three cheers for border punches! They're making a come back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Marieke's 3-month plan. And if we're all in agreement, I'd love to take the first 3 months (assuming no one else has claimed them). But really, I'd be happy with any quarter, I'm just excited at the idea of putting kits together! Marieke, could you give some suggestions for what you have in mind for the 2 open (non-'classic ORMV') months?

    By the way, I'm almost ready to book my flight to Spokane for February. I'm very excited (and a bit nervous)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the 3 month plan. Excited about it! Does any one else have any quarter preference? (I don't have a preference.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Theresa: I colored the puzzle pieces using chalk ink.

    Hooray for border punches!

    ReplyDelete