Thursday, January 20, 2011

Claudia's January Results

I have to give full credit for my layout theme to Shaughn, who helped me tremendously because I was stuck with way too many Beatles song titles swimming in my head. It was also just a few weeks ago that Gavin came to me completely covered in marker, which was the first picture we both thought of. After that, it was pretty easy finding other pictures of Gavin and Mia in troublesome situations. I used my Cricut for the title (Alphalicious font), and Word's Juice ITC font for the lyrics, which had a similar look. The ribbon is stapled on in tangles with Color Staples, a technique I saw in a YouTube card-making tutorial video (I don't remember which one, it was a while ago). And I just sketched and cut out the yellow starred paper by hand.

As for the second project, the one song title I really wanted to use was "All You Need is Love", but couldn't figure out a layout I could pull together with the pictures I have. Then, a few days ago, I found a cute little stamp at Michaels with just those words, and I took it as a sign. I made this card for my parents' anniversary next month.
I don't know why the picture of the front of the card turned out so "fisheye", but it is a rectangular card, and the yarn goes straight across. I was thinking about making more copies of this card for the cardswap at CU (someone mentioned it on the Facebook group)... What do you guys think? I have no experience with that sort of thing, so I don't know if this card is appropriate or worthy of swapping. Your input is much appreciated, as always. :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I have been dying to see these. What a clever title idea (nice one, Shaughn). Is that Mia covered in makeup? I love the "devilish" side borders. One of the things I love about your work is that you can tell that you put so much thought in it. There's a reason for every placement of an element; each detail. And the card. I LOVE IT. Swap with me! Swap with me! It's gorgeous. The color scheme is perfect. So romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia was eating an ice cream sandwich. It was right after we went on a trolley ride, and the driver asked me if we needed a napkin. :) And of course we'll swap. I can't wait for that weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia this is so creative, I love it. These pictures are priceless and I think you'll be looking back and laughing at those for years (decades) to come. You are using so many cute techniques that I want to learn. French knots, this stapled ribbon look; I love how all of your embellishments are with purpose.

    That card is pretty nifty too! How did you make the flower detail in the center? I think that is so clever, but I can't figure out how to do it myself.

    Thanks for giving us such an inspired challenge in January. I already have a song picked out and images in mind for the layout. Now, all I need is time to work on all of my ORMV projects. I'm still behind from November!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, the flower is a Martha Stewart punch that I bought by mistake a while ago. I assumed the punch would cut out flowers, like any other punch, but it actually just cuts out an outline of the petals without cutting the center. At first I was really irritated with it (and had ripped the packaging when opening it, so I couldn't return it), but I have found other uses for it... and I kind of like that it's a little different. I used a brush-tip marker to outline the petals, to make them more defined. I'll probably bring the punch to CU, if you want to check it out.
    And thanks for the nice comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these!

    What adorable pics! I love the ribbon borders/tangles. They go so well with the theme of the layout. I also love the curly paper corners you made - especially the one that looks like a heart. So cute!

    Your card is gorgeous. And I love love love that stamp. I, too, love the flower punch. That was so creative to put it in the center by punching all the corners. T is right, the thought you put into your projects really shows. Love them!

    ReplyDelete