Thursday, July 8, 2010

Claudia's July Results

Aak! I'm nervous about posting for the first time. Thank you again for allowing me to join the club, it makes me so happy! Well, here it goes...

I loved this kit, and feel bad that I've only completed one 2-page layout. I have so much left to work with, and I am planning on one more project; for now, I'll post what I have completed so far. I loved the travel theme, but had some trouble figuring out what pictures to work with. So I am holding off on the tropical/international travel idea, and went with something closer to home.... visiting my brother and his wife, who live just outside of Tucson. I was inspired by the antique prints and embellishments (and a bit by my husband's new video game "Red Dead Redemption"). And I got a huge kick out of printing the pictures in sepia. I loved the browns and reds in the papers Rachel included in the kit, and I just added cream-colored paper for the titles and matting. By the way, I'd like to thank Rachel for teaching me how to ink paper edges... I did that a lot in this layout.

P.S. I'd appreciate any tips you may have on photographing layouts. I haven't done that before, and my pictures either came out crooked or with a glare from the flash off of the photos. And please let me know if I missed any of the club's guidelines... I'm trying!

4 comments:

  1. Claudia, these layouts are (or one 2-page layout is) great! I love the style. I am into monochromatic photos and inking/aging is a favorite technique I too would love to learn. I need to practice (if anyone has any tips, please send them to me!).

    I am quite fond of the torn cardstock, lined with ribbon. I *loved* the cardstock so much I was almost afraid to use it. It shows up a little in my "Rome" layout. I can't think of my stuff as layout worthy yet though. I feel as if I am placing stuff with pictures. I am not I have found the 'layout' design sensibility that seems to come naturally to my ORMV partners (all of you).

    In any case, your layouts are lovely and I like the nostalgic feel. I am looking forward to what you post next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This layout is fabulous. I love it!

    I love the mix of colors you chose. The sepia photos were such a great idea. They work perfectly with the vintage paper and the browns and reds. By the way, I didn't even know the postcard paper had a vintage newspaper on the reverse until you posted this. Shows you how much attention I was paying.

    I love how you wrapped the flower stems with the green seam binding. That looks so cute! I wish I had thought of that. I liked the stems, but couldn't think of a way to get them under control, so I snipped them off. This looks really neat.

    I also love how you made photo corners out of the red rose paper for under the edge of the photo and how you made the oval mat for the photo of Mia. That oval mat is awesome. It reminds me of the way vintage photos were printed/matted. Very cute, very clever.

    I love all the details you included to bring in that vintage wild west feel, like your paper choice, the oval mat, the two silver stars, and the inked edges on your mats. The time and thought you put into this really shows. It's beautiful! I LOVE seeing how we all interpreted the kit differently. I never would have thought of using the items for an old west-inspired layout and they work just beautifully for that. You are so creative!

    As for tips on photographing layouts - well, mine turned out so blurry this time around I feel like I shouldn't be giving any tips - but I've read that the best way to photograph them (and I've had the best luck) is when I photograph them in bright sunlight. Some people even take them outside to photograph them. This way there is no need for the flash at all. Sometimes, I can only photograph a layout at night and so the flash & resulting glare is unavoidable. C'est la vie. As for crookedness - well, it's just plain unavoidable until they make a scanner with a 12 x 12 bed that doesn't cost $10,000. Mine always have an edge or two (or three) that is crooked. I have begrudgingly learned to let it go. It's not easy though. I like everything neat and tidy. In this case, it is just not possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I just read the comment you left on my post (after leaving the comment above) and I think it's hilarious that each of us posted on the flower stems. I swear I hadn't read your comment before posting mine. And I still like your solution better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative and talented. I love the theme so much, but mostly because it was in no way shape or form an obvious choice. The amount of thought and effort you put into this is more than evident. Seeing your handwriting makes me smile because I have always loved it and I like that you chose to journal by hand. Lately I have been obsessed with collages and grids and having the photos touch that it was a nice reprieve to see the way that you placed your photos (and I agree with Marieke - the oval photo mat is awesome and so perfectly in line with the theme). I also loved the tearing (of the red textured paper) and how you used the rickrack to create a border. Beautiful design, beautiful photos. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete