Friday, November 12, 2010

Rachel's November Results

So this month I went a little crazy and dove head first into a technique that I have always admired from a distance: collage. In the process, I have discovered that I could use a course on adhesive - no matter what I do, I seem to have a lot of trouble choosing the right one and in this project in particular it was seriously frustrating. But I digress.


The city skyline image is actually from a vintage postcard of Cologne (found through a quick Google Images search) which I printed onto vellum and cut out. (I then outlined it using one of those Souffle pens Marieke is always raving about and which I finally broke down and bought). I also incorporated another piece of vellum (onto which I printed a handwritten message in German, also from an old postcard image downloaded from the Internet) to use as a background for the pieces I tore from the page from the antique book included in the November kit. I chopped up the quote from the kit with scissors, but not before I used a silver ink pad to change the color because I didn't like the look of the clean white (I would have preferred walnut ink to give it more of a vintage look, but I worked with what I had). I used clear photo corners to adhere the original photos of my grandmother, just in case I need to remove them in the future. I know that working with copies is often suggested, but I like the look of the originals, especially the quality of the paper they were printed on and the decorative edges. In retrospect, I probably should have practiced using the Souffle pens on scratch paper rather than on the actual layout, but I actually like the way it came out using the stencils. Adhering vellum seems to be the bane of my existence: if you like the look of the city skyline, consider it a happy accident - I probably couldn't do it again if I tried. But again, I kind of like how it turned out. Maybe that's the thing about collage - there really are no "mistakes."


Ladies and gentlemen, I may have found my medium!




3 comments:

  1. Rachel, I think you have definitely found your medium! Both the layout and the tag are gorgeous. I don't even know where to start... I'll get this out of the way: the pictures of your grandmother are stunning, what an inspiration! I'm glad you used the original pictures, because there is no replacing their texture or look. You should frame this layout, and if you don't have a frame, you may be getting one for Christmas. :) On to your handiwork... I love the collage look in both projects, they are beautiful and interesting without looking cluttered. Each element looks naturally and thoughtfully placed. On your layout, the city skyline is genius. I love that it's printed on vellum and the outline gives it definition. The torn purple pages give it depth and dimension. The stitches between the pictures provide a subtle and lovely separation between pictures. On the tag, I love the bits of ribbon stapled on, as well as the layers of text, stamp, stencil and embellishment.
    I think this is my favorite month of yours, Rachel! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the collage feel of these. I definitely think you are meant for collage - when I think about it, I realize I've seen elements of collage in most of your layouts.

    I love these photos. Your grandmother was such a style maven! It's amazing to think about how much effort people put into their everyday styling back then - and how slobby I look most days. Actually, it's not so much amazing as it is just pathetic. I really should make more of an effort. But, I digress...

    I love that you included the boot and dress form - so perfect for the subject matter. Also, the German wording and the skyline adds that personal touch. The vellum adds a soft dreamy look to it. This is just gorgeous. I love it!

    I also love your tag. It reminds me of an ATC (Artist Trading Card). I, too, love the layering of the ribbon, stamp and vintage page paper.

    I love how you are willing to try new things and take risks - it paid off beautifully. These are both gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I already told you in person - but I love these Rachel! I am so enamored of the collage / vintage style (hello graphic 45!).

    I am looking forward to seeing the product of your exploration into collage art. I love that type of art too. If you hear of any good classes nearby, let me know.

    ReplyDelete