Monday, February 8, 2010

Marieke's February Results

Layout

So I have been building this layout since we went to Borders back at the beginning of January and I flipped through some magazines, spotting some really neat ideas (the hanging hearts and the scalloped photo mat). I cobbled those and some other ideas together - a sort of Frankenstein layout, if you will. I like the way it turned out. I really LOVE the polka dots. That turned out much better than I had envisioned. The only thing I would change is I would move the larger photo closer to the center a little bit, but it's hard to get it just right with so much going on here.

The polka dots are done with a stencil I created by punching a circle in some of the leftover light green cardstock and using white ink. (I feel like I may have "cheated" a little here because it says we can use ink pads for distressing or shading. My use of an ink pad here doesn't exactly fit either of those, but I really wanted to try it and felt the technique fit the spirit of the rules - that we use things all of use can do and that don't require unique or special tools. I apologize if you feel I cheated.) I suppose I could have avoided this feeling by just cutting a bunch of the same size circles out of white card stock and gluing them on, but I wanted to try this technique.

The lettering was done like last time. I printed out the letters on paper, then cut them out, then traced them onto the hot pink paper. I actually had to do that twice because I chose light pink and light green the first time around and did not think they stood out enough.



The scalloped mat was created by punching out a zillion circles, pasting them around a piece of paper the same size as the photo, then hand tracing and cutting. I decided to distress the edges and after that didn't seem like enough, I outlined it in hot pink.

I knew Spencer's office walls were painted green and I love the color of this shirt. He was sweet enough to volunteer to be my model so we went to his office and took a bunch of different photos. I really liked how the photos turned out, but when we developed them, they came out darker than I would have liked. I really need my own photo printer...

Below you can see the photos look much nicer than in the layout.

(If you look closely, you'll see we put the Two Peas in a Bucket homepage on his computer screen. ;-p)



Cards

So I had a TON of ideas, but settled on these. I wanted to try out something different than last month. I wanted to challenge myself more. Some I like better than others. I like how the three stitched flowers came out. That one turned out the best in my opinion. I wish the lamb's back legs were set at an angle pointing down so she looked more grounded. I saw the flourish card in a magazine. It should have stayed there. I don't like how it turned out at all. And the dragonfly looked much better in my mind than in reality. Oh, well, you can't win them all.















So I really like this one. I love how the stitches are stems on the front and "hang" the hearts on the inside. I saw the heart shaped leaves in a magazine and knew this would be perfect for this month's color scheme.
















This is going to be Hanna's Valentine. The lamb turned out better than I had hoped, for my first time making one, but I do wish I had angled the legs downward so she didn't appear to be floating. I colored white cardstock black in order to make her nose and hooves. I used pink ink to shade the ears and cheeks. The bottom border I made using pens and white card stock - which was actually made for the layout but I decided against including it there and used it here instead.
















I liked the simplicity of this design and the color scheme but it just doesn't look as spectacular as I had hoped.












I originally posted a close-up of the card as it was in the group photo. But, I hated the wing placement so I decided to move the wings up. You can see in the group photo they were further down his body. This is much better. A slight adjustment is just what was needed.

5 comments:

  1. I think your layout is smashing! The hand-made scalloped frame is so nifty. I also love that you used this opportunity to take some portraits of S. at work. So distinguished!

    I am happy you gave me the idea of thumbing through magazines. I want to spend more time doing that to get ideas for layouts and cards. I think the hanging hearts turned out really well. So did the white polka-dots too for that matter. I don't think it's cheating at all. I did that with my layout (with the letters) for January.

    As far as picture size goes - I'm a picture girl. That's the reason I like working with smaller formats. I like to make the photo the focal point, and if I chose to work with 12x12 formats I would be using pictures that are at least 5x7 or larger. In any case, this was a nice way to incorporate the office photo and the close-ups. The portrait tips were valuable; the pics look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, first of all I have to say I like the sticked flowers a lot too. I think how you created the flowers out of circles is a fantastic idea. The stitching made them look that much more special.

    I do think you are a little too down on the lamb. I love her. Those eyes just sink into you! I am impressed that you were able to make that by hand. Bravo!

    So, it's funny that you made 4 cards this time. I was inspired to do so many because of how creative and how well you stretched the supplies in January. I guess this is all good though. It's neat that we are inspiring each other. I am excited to see Rachel's crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, T! Yeah, I was thinking of how it's funny that the first month I felt like using every last drop of supplies and the next I wanted to stop well before that. I think it's because of the amount of time the layout, the lamb card and the flower card took. The layout was labor intensive because of the polka dots and handmade frame (not to mention the several hours involved in going to Spencer's work, taking pictures and then waiting at Fred Meyer for two hours while the no-so-smart film counter clerk kept losing our order in the computer system and had to call her manager over - that was fun.) I am pretty happy with how those pics came out, though. I'm not really into photography right now, but I could definitely see myself getting into it - it was a lot of fun to see them turn out so well. Even Spencer, who normally hates photos of himself, liked them. I could just imagine how happy Spencer would be if he knew I were contemplating another expensive hobby. Hehe ;-)

    The cards (lamb and stitched flowers) were also a lot of work. The stitching for the flower card took a lot of time, while the paper piecing for the lamb was also pretty time-consuming.

    I think by the time I was done with those, I was ready to be done.

    Overall, I feel pretty good about the collection, even though a few weeks ago I had no idea what to do.

    Going through magazines is extremely helpful. What I do now is that I flip through a magazine, find 2 or 3 techniques I am really interested in trying, write them down, and hopefully remember to attempt them later. I would love to be able to buy every magazine out there, but it would cost around $100 every month and I'm not sure where I would even keep them. They could start to require a lot of storage pretty fast. Also, I have gone to a lot of second-hand shops and have noticed that the ideas get really stale after about 4 years. If I am going to spend money on something these days, I want it to last a lot longer than that. That said, I will be subscribing to Paper Crafts and Scrapbooks, Etc. as my birthday gifts. I can check Creating Keepsakes out from the library and I don't find that magazine all that great to begin with. I had a subscription to it last year and let it expire in November because it was just so-so. (I do love their conventions, though. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that Two Peas in a Bucket gallery, along with scrapbook.com gallery and scrapjazz gallery, are all awesome places to get ideas, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Marieke, these are gorgeous. I love how the stitching on the flower card is part of the image on the outside as well as the inside of the card. Genius! The lamb card is adorable. I just know Hanna will take one look at it and say, "Baa." (We're still working on thank you :). Paper piecing! Something I admire from a far, but am too reluctant to try myself. For now.

    As usual, you are too hard on yourself. What are you talking about?! The flourish card is beautiful and I love the dragonfly's wing and the ribbon hang off of the edge - nice design. I wish I could make cards like this! In my dreams!

    And the layout of Spencer is so, so cute. I love everything about it, but especially the polka dots and the creative use of stitching. Oh, and I love, love love the photo frame - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete