Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Rachel's March Results

This month I decided to test out some of my Project Life materials in making a layout about Hanna's 3rd birthday.

I still need to get the hang of photographing page protectors, but here is my layout:

A closer look:


The journaling card includes a pull tab, which was handy because I had a lot to say:


I have used page protectors with photo pockets before in my albums. For instance, for last year's January project I did a one-page layout on my own third birthday and I had a lot of extra photos from that event. I put the layout in a three-ring scrapbook album with the additional photos in an adjacent page protector for 4 x 6 photos:


But this was the first time I had incorporated other elements (journaling cards, embellishments, etc.) to make it more than just a group of photos. I have a lot of post-bound albums but I'm finding I like the versatility of being able to move pages around more easily and mix things up a little. I have been reserving my post-bound albums for two-page layouts (so I don't have the ring in the middle) and the three-ring albums for combining one page layouts with photos in page protectors of varying sizes. While I love the idea of chronicling daily life and recording the little things that don't usually make it onto a scrapbook layout, I am daunted by the idea of taking a photo everyday or doing a spread for each week. I have been using my Project Life album as a holding pen for photos and memorabilia that I can purge for future layouts, or leave as is. It gives me the illusion of being organized, and I have all of my photos in chronological order.

Marieke and I had discussed whether this style of scrapbooking was really scrapbooking at all, or if it could ever replace what we think of as scrapbooking. After having worked with the materials in the kit, I can definitely see the appeal. But I don't think it will ever turn me off of making layouts the old-fashioned way. But I really like the versatility of the product, and how I can still include 12x12 layouts (or 8x8s) in my Project Life album. The possibilities really are endless.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't commented on this already. I think it might be because I talked to you extensively about it on the phone...but still, that's no excuse. My bad. So sorry, Rach.

    And there is so much to say, too. :-)

    I LOVE that you actually used your project life materials. You know and I know how many things I have bought that are still in their packaging. You go, girl! I am impressed you sat down and used what you bought. Super impressed!

    I love that you used photo collages to get more photos on the pages - very smart! I also liked how you used the journaling cards for more photos and embellishments. And, I really like how you set the page up.

    I think, though, the most impressive thing about this layout actually has nothing to do with scrapbooking. It's the awesome party you threw. I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the adorable things you made and projects you planned for this party. It is obvious Hanna had a blast! You should be proud of yourself for the amazing job you did in planning this party. You seriously rocked it. Hanna is lucky to have a mom as great as you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to echo Marieke's comment. How is it that I haven't commented on this yet?

    Well, I have to say I like this and I love the idea of project life. I was inspired by the Paper Source slogan: do something creative everyday. However, I am finding it very difficult to keep up with all of the layout ideas in my head.

    I think this format lends itself to putting something creative together, but leaving you the freedom to be flexible in titles and journaling while still maintaining an organized format. This speaks to the perfectionist in all of us. In this layout, it seems as if the pockets were designed for the pictures and not the other way around. I love that.

    Do project life materials come in 8x8? Just curious.
    Anyone ever thought of doing a 6x12 album? I might try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comments, guys. @Theresa: I actually purchased some 6x12 page protectors to use in my Project Life album, so in answer to your question: totally doable. If you get handy enough with your sewing machine, you can sew your own custom page protectors. That would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. But for now as far as I know, the Project Life kit itself only comes in 12x12.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how many pictures you were able to get in your PL layout. Perfect use of the circle alphas on the page. My favorite pic is the one of Hanna next to the "3" journal card. So cute with her hands under her chin! Perfect way to record the memories without taking up too much space.

    ReplyDelete