Thursday, March 11, 2010

Rachel's March Results

When Marieke first gave us these kits for Christmas, March was my favorite on first sight. In fact, I immediately stole a couple of embellishments to use on a layout with a bird theme that I was working on at the time. When I sat down to brainstorm a project for this month, I began to search my photos that went with the color palette or that had something to do with birds. I came an almost ten-year old across a photo of myself in Venice and the idea of “free as a bird” popped into my head, and I immediately toyed with the idea of doing an album on my carefree twenties. I found an album that I had went with this month’s colors:


I thought I liked the idea of an album about traveling with friends, from which emerged the “birds of a feather travel together” theme. I dug through old memorabilia and created this page on a trip to Ireland to visit my friend Elaine:


Then I scrapped that idea, once I realized that I had bitten off far more than I could chew. Then I had an epiphany: I could create a basic template, which could be repeated throughout the album. I have been wanting to try journaling with the computer, which I have never done. Here is how that experiment turned out:









































I tried to use colors that went with this month’s scheme. And in retrospect, I am not so sure that using a text box is “legal” but considering how little paper we had to work with this month, I am amazed that I was able to create an entire album out of what I had. I also cheated and used staples on the tags (it’s sort of an adhesive, right? Uh, yeah, no). I decided to make memorabilia pockets into which I can later insert ticket stubs, extra photos, and other souvenirs. The idea to create a collage of photos was a question of time: no need to crop photos.


I scrapped the opening page of the album last, because I thought it set the tone for the remaining pages, which are all about trips I took over a two-year period.


No cards this month. No paper left!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Rach! I absolutely love this!!!! This is awesome. I love the repeating pattern of the layout design and the design itself is awesome. It feels very Ali Edwards to me. I just love everything about this project. Where to begin? I love how you incorporated the text boxes. That was truly genius. What a fabulous way to get another paper in there. I love the titles and months/years. The font goes really well with your design – clean, simple, and elegant. I just love how clean these pages look – the design and font. I tend to clutter my pages up and don’t know when to stop adding things. These are perfect. I am very impressed. I love the pockets on the opposing pages – what a great idea! I love how you used the embellishments on the circles. I just really love how it all comes together and looks so clean, classy, and easy on the eye. It just works really well. I think it is my favorite project that you’ve done. I absolutely adore the photo collages. I never would have thought to do that and not only is it interesting, but so smart and practical. I love it! Awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I cannot believe it has been 10 years since we were both in Hungary. It feels like just a couple of years. When I first read that you came across a 10 year-old photo of yourself in Venice, I thought, "Wow, I didn't know Rach had gone to Venice when she was a kid." Ha. If that is not denial about the fact that I am turning 33 next week, I don't know what is. I just don't feel like I am 33 years old. Just thought you might enjoy that one for laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have to add that I love the "Free as a Bird" theme and though you didn't end up using it, I also love the "Friends of a Feather..." theme, too. Such a clever girl, you are.

    Also, I can't believe you had an album that is so perfect for these colors. I love when things work out like that.

    Again, I am very impressed, lady. Awesome. It's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better late than never... but I am UBER impressed too! I can't believe how far you were able to stretch the March kit.

    I absolutely adore your travel book theme. I'm also more than a little jealous that you have been able to see all of those beautiful places. I love what I've seen of Europe so far and can't wait to go back for another visit!

    ReplyDelete