Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rachel's December Results

Christmas cards seemed like the obvious choice this month, what with all of the adorable embellishments and coordinating papers. But I had my heart set on scrapping last year's Christmas photos, so that is what I did. With a card thrown in for good measure, of course.


I kept the layouts very simple, in order to keep the focus on the photos. I decided to cut the "Joy" 12x12 paper into two 6x6 strips to use as side borders for my photo block. This was a good exercise for me, too in my quest to get more comfortable with white space. I added the felt holly embellishment to disguise my shoddy cropping work. I'm starting to remember why I like to crop my photos in Picasa before I have them developed, but this month I played it old school.



In the second layout, I wanted to record the way the house is decorated for Christmas. For the title, I violated the "Season's greetings" embellishment to get the "Season" I needed for my title. Note to self: don't take the picture until after the gel pen has had time to dry. Oh, well. You get the idea.





I had a lot of fun with this card. The blue and white really jumped out at me as this is one of my favorite color schemes for Christmas. Maybe it's the whole winter wonderland thing, or the fact that it's a new take on the standard red and green. I just think it's a beautiful combination, and I was thrilled that Marieke included these pieces in the kit. I had fun using the leftover strips from trimming the cardstock to create a faux-snowflake. Or star or what have you. Anyway, I like it.







3 comments:

  1. I love your layouts this month. I think it's great you have so many pictures from the holidays. It's a wonderful idea to scrap the decorations in your house. That's one thing I always think about and try to remember in the past... but for some reason we never took pictures. (With Anthony around, I know that's weird.)

    I tried clicking on each of the images in your post, but couldn't "open" them so I could see more detail. I love how you created the borders from patterned paper. I haven't even cracked open my kit yet (I am behind!) - but I may have to scraplift that for my projects. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, Rach! So pretty!

    I like how you kept the first one simple. Sometimes I think I overcomplicate things. This is a great reminder that simple is beautiful.

    I love how you combined the titles in the second one. Very creative!

    And I love your Christmas card. Silver and blue are my favorite Christmas colors, also - Spencer's, too. They look so frosty and wintery and sparkly and pretty. I like how you used the scraps to create the snowflake/star.

    Just and FYI - I, too, can't open them to see them bigger. I wonder what's going on? I noticed that with your last month's layout, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, these are so beautiful! I love the simplicity of the first layout, and that is a great way to use the paper. I may end up scraplifting that idea. And speaking of stealing ideas, I was so inspired by your layout of the decorations that I made sure to take pictures of our (and my parents')decorations this year. I think it's a wonderful way to remember Christmas, because we can see what may or may not change throughout the years (like my grandparents bringing their stockings over to my parents' house... too cute!). As for the layout itself, I really like how you used the patterned paper for borders, especially the ornaments at the top, and the title you made. The card is beautiful, and I love the snowflake you made from scraps. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete